Monday, April 26, 2010

Lottery Gods...they work in mysterious ways. They control our destiny with their awesome power of fate, knowing just when and where to rock your world. Last Friday, they rocked mine yet again.

First, a slap in the face. I didn't get into The Dipsea Race for June, despite following their absurd and elitist application policies of including bribes in the application and hustling it to a post office within hours of downloading it from the Web (dance, clown, dance!). All this for the privilege of riding in the back of the bus by started 28 minutes behind the "real" runners. It was not only disappointing to not get in, it was fueling a rage against the establishment! I guess that movie On The Edge is based on the Dipsea for more than just location.

Next, a kick to the groin. It's quite clear that I am seriously injured from my bike accident two weeks ago, despite faking through a few fun marathons in the last couple of weeks (Boston was awesome, Big Sur Marathon blog write up in progress, but the 3:53 finish time should tell you something). If I take my recovery as seriously as my training, it's time to commit and take a month or so off. This means I won't run Miwok, a race I LOVE, and the only race the Lottery Gods graced me with this for the 2010 season. I try so hard not to take your name in vain oh Gods of Lottery, but you test me so!

On Friday, I took my grumpy mood and compromised posture to the garage to strip down my bike, throwing away the broken pieces and try to determine if what is left is worth salvaging. It seemed like more of the bike was going in the trash than remaining.

"Hmm," I thought, "perhaps this is fate's way of telling me to forget the bike and focus 100% on the trails. No cars, no hitting pavement with nothing but lycra on, no high speed descents. I was lucky to walk away - maybe fate is trying to tell me something."

A few minutes later, I got a text message from a friend. "Dude...you just won a lottery slot to Ironman Hawaii on Oct 9, 2010. You lucky bastard!!!". I wha? No way!!!

Could it be?!? I've been putting my name in that lottery for nearly 12 years and have a row of $50 DVD's (your parting gift for not getting in) to prove it. It's one of my "bucket list" races, the ones you must do before you check out of this world. I checked the Web site, and there it was. Unbelievable.

I immediately pulled out all the bike parts out of the trash and started assembling. Lottery Gods, how ever could I have questioned your powers of destiny? I am your humble servant. ;-)

Best of luck to the Miwok runners this Saturday, especially that wait-lister who just got a HUGE break! The Lottery Gods are looking out for you too.

SD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY